260 sidewall?!!

Started by Mujician, December 01, 2015, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mujician

Hi, I saw this thread 123-alien-pdf-dylan-gelinas-t9262.html

Its the coolest thing i have ever seen so I bought the PDF, I know its hard, but I like to stretch myself - if you don't try something, you won't improve! Anyway - so I need some practice with measurements and I might try using a ruler for this guy. However as the title states, its the sidewall bubble I'm having difficulty with. I made the head of the Alien, but I actually, cheated and tied an uninflected 160 as an attachment point. Needless to say it didn't really work. Soon, how do you do it> Does anyone have a video of the technique? I have made a sidewall bubble in a 646 that was unattached to anything, but this is something totally different. I guess I could put a scrap inside next time and make a raisin, but I would like to be able to do the sidewall bubble.

Many thanks, Ben

Richard Morris

Evening Ben

Being a relative newbie I struggled initially when making that as well. The 260 side wall bubble seemed impossible. The best advise I can give is make that particular bubble really quite soft as once the sidewall bubble is in place and the 646 is attached it becomes quite firm again.

I found that making a sort of intial bend as if you were going to make a loop twist in the section you want the sidewall bubble in and then twisting the small bubble into the top of the bend as it was much easier to get a hold of than just trying to squeeze a straight bubble and the fact that it's soft makes that easier to do.

I also practised doing it a few times on a undeed 260 first.

Hope that makes sense, it does in my head but not sure it does in writing.

Looking forward to seeing your finished Alien once you have mastered it, because the finished design looks great.  Also if your looking for a great design that's a winner Dylan's Bosco bear is fab. The photo on his site doesn't do it justice.

Good luck

Richard

Mujician

Thanks, I just thought, if its soft enough to bend in half, would it be possible to start to make it like a pinch twist and slowly pinch the air out of it until its small enough then just twist it to keep it the right size?